This week’s reading list is a Valentine’s Day special, highlighting the CPC & CPR trends of the past as well as included some of the top digital marketing facts related to the special day. This post will also include some interesting facts about YouTube and its news about its upcoming in-app messaging function that is currently being tested.
Bing Ads shares Valentine’s Day CPC & CTR trends
Accounting for nearly half of all Valentine’s Day related searches on Bing, mobile plays a significant role and with the big day fast approaching, Bing has recently released insights to help inform marketers’ plans for this year. The information given was based on last year’s advertising performance and shopping behaviour/trends in the US.
Research from the National Retail Federation has announced that just over half of adults in the US say that they celebrate Valentine’s day as well as admitting that they are continuing to spend more and more on their partners each year, online in particular. But what we all want to know is who’s spending the most? It was found that unmarried men aged between 25 and 34 are the ones who are splashing the most cash on their loved ones on Valentine’s Day. However, what we thought was interesting was that it is in fact women that are the most active online.
In 2015, studies showed that most Valentine’s Day related searches took place within two weeks before February 14th. Added onto that, research suggested that clicks on ads rose massively in the week leading up to the big day and were highest on the day before.
Digital Marketing Facts Related To Valentine’s Day
-In 2016, Valentine’s Day was worth £550m to retailers
- (54% of purchases were planned with an average spend of £41)
-Consumers are now looking for different kinds of gifts for Valentine’s Day
- 3 out of 4 customers from the UK believe that Valentine’s Day has become too commercialised
- Over 1/3 of consumers would prefer to spend their money on a treat rather than a gift
- More than 50% want retailers to provide gift ideas- this is higher for younger consumers
- Over 1/3 are willing to pay more for personalised gifts
-Over half of Valentine’s Day related searches will be on smartphones in 2017
- the percentage of searches on smartphones peaks on Valentine’s Day across gifting categories as consumers search for last minute gifts for loved ones)
-The majority of gifting searches in the lead up to Valentine’s Day are for Jewellery
- 2 in 3 consumers spend more time browsing when shopping for gifts online)
- The week leading up to Valentine’s Day is the second busiest for searches for flowers after Mother’s Day)
-Valentine’s Day related YouTube searches are focussed on inspirations and ideas
- There are 2.2 million videos for “Valentine’s Day” on YouTube
- Top searches include people looking for gift inspiration and outfits
YouTube tests Facebook-style messaging feature and tinkers with classic ‘loading’ spinner
It has been announced that YouTube is looking to follow in the footsteps of Facebook Messenger by trying out a new in-app messaging function which lets users send videos to each other without leaving the platform walls. Interestingly, the testing of it has been taking place since last year but on the 18th of January, it was officially launched in Canada.
The overall aim of this new messaging function is to help make sharing videos more social as well as serving as a place for users to easily send ordinary test messages to each other. Ben Yair (google product manager), is hoping that the move will keep the sharing experience within YouTube, rather than people having to switch between other apps. He believes that this will to help create a smooth, pleasant experience for all users.
Added onto that, YouTube seems to have replaced its video loading ‘spinner’ icon for users in order to help make slow internet connections that little bit more bearable. According to some reports, it has been stated by viewers that instead of seeing a buffering sign, they saw a cute castle animation whilst they were waiting for their video to load to help make the wait seem shorter.
To find out more, click here.
UK YouTube ads of the year: Top 10
With 2016 behind us now, we decided to do some research about and find out what the top 10 UK YouTube ads of the year were. The ranking of the ads is determined by using some of YouTube’s strongest signals of viewer choice (the number of views and percentage of organic views v’s paid views).
UK Ads Leader board: 2016
- Sainsbury’s OFFICIAL Christmas advert 2016 -The Greatest Gift
- John Lewis Christmas Advert 2016 – #BusterTheBoxer
- CROSSY ROAD (FOR REAL!!!)
- M&S 2016 Christmas Ad: Christmas with love from Mrs Claus
- Nike Football Presents: The Switch ft. Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Anthony Martial & More
- Flash Ah-ah Dog #FlashDog 2016 Advert | P&G UK and Ireland
- Waitrose Christmas TV ad 2016 | #HomeForChristmas
- THE LOOK UP EXPERIMENT
- Virgin Media | Usain Bolt | #BeTheFastest
- SPENCER FC VS WELLER WANDERERS! – Wembley Cup Final 2016! #8